Use Your Contact List Frequently! It is a marketing gold mine! by Stacy West Clark
Hi Happy Lawyers! This month's marketing tip is: Use Your Contact List Frequently! It is a marketing gold mine!
Per last month's column, now that you have put together a current contacts list, it is time to use it to market. Remember that one of the keys to developing business is having strong relationships with your contacts-and having strong relationships means demonstrating how you are constantly thinking about their challenges, needs, likes, dislikes, passions, etc.
So, on a monthly basis, do the following:
1) Review the list and set up one lunch a week with a prospect or referral source on it.
2) Set up an on-site visit to one client or prospective client on the list.
3) Work with your secretary and/or librarian and track news about those on your list. When a contact is in the news, send them a note congratulating them on it.
4) Track new local, state or federal legislation that may affect some key contacts on your list and send them regular updates on the status.
5) Similarly, inform them of recent caselaw (1-2 sentence note max!) that may affect their business.
6) Review the list to see who you can introduce to one another-for purposes of expanding their business or list of contacts.
7) Review the list to see if you can purchase the services or become a client of someone on your list.
8) Identify someone on the list you can nominate for an award or honor of some kind.
9) Review the list to identify who should receive firm mailings, including newsletters, press releases, seminar invitations and more.
Every time you network, or attend any kind of event, add the names of new contacts to your contact lists and keep reviewing it for ACTION you can take. Remember—you must keep demonstrating that you are tops in your field, fully informed on developments affecting your contacts' industries and businesses, great to work with and ready to deliver outstanding service when they need you. These are the elements of terrific marketing!
Stacy West Clark, Esq. is President of Stacy Clark Marketing LLC, a firm dedicated to helping lawyers and law firms grow their business. She can be reached at stacyclarkmarketing.com.
Stacy is on the Steering Committee of the Delaware Valley Law Firm Marketing Group, a free group that holds monthly lunch programs on important marketing topics. If you would like to receive invitations to upcoming events, please email Stacy or go to dvlawmarketing.org.