1101 Market Street, 11th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: 215-238-6300 Fax: 215-238-1267 www.philadelphiabar.org
Shuster Public Interest Fellowship Now Open to Applications; Deadline Sept. 15
The Philadelphia Bar Foundation has announced that they are now accepting applications for the Morris M. Shuster Public Interest Fellowship Program--three fellowships in all. Applications are due Thursday, Sept. 15.
The Shuster Fellowship was established in 2003 as a result of a generous donation by Morris M. Shuster to the Philadelphia Bar Foundation. Mr. Shuster's generous contribution inspired an anonymous donation matching money in 2003 enabling the Bar Foundation to double the program's capacity.
The three Shuster Fellowships--each for up to $5,000--will be announced in late September. As a result of the Program's expansion, the eligibility guidelines have been revised to make the program accessible to an increased number of dedicated public interest attorneys in need of loan repayment assistance. The revised guidelines are as follows:
- Two Shuster Fellowships will be awarded to eligible public interest attorneys who have five or more years of work experience and one additional Shuster Fellowship will be awarded to an eligible public interest attorney with three or more years of work experience
- To be eligible for the Shuster Fellowships, an applicant must be a full-time lawyer at a qualifying organization, who is financially eligible and has completed the requisite number of years of work experience at one or more nonprofit organizations principally involved in the delivery of legal services to clients (regardless of geography).
- A qualifying organization is a current grantee or eligible grantee of the Philadelphia Bar Foundation that is principally involved in the delivery of legal services to clients.
- An applicant is financially eligible upon demonstration that he or she has an annual student loan repayment obligation that equals or exceeds $5,000 or 10% of his or her annual gross income, whichever is less.
- An annual student loan repayment obligation is the yearly amount required to be repaid by the applicant arising from all student loan indebtedness exclusive to the applicant.
- The amount of the Shuster Fellowship will equal the amount of the applicant's annual student loan repayment obligation or $5,000, whichever is less.
- Only one Shuster Fellowship may be awarded to a qualifying organization each year.
- Past recipients of Shuster Fellowships are ineligible to apply for another Fellowship for a period of three years.
The deadline for submitting an application is Thursday, Sept. 15, 2005.
for the 2005 Shuster Fellowship guidelines.
for the 2005 Shuster Fellowship application.
For more information, please contact Maureen Mingey
at the Philadelphia Bar Foundation at (215) 238-6334.