RESOLUTION URGING THAT THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE CENTER BE RENAMED
THE "JUANITA KIDD STOUT CENTER FOR CRIMINAL JUSTICE"

WHEREAS, the late Juanita Kidd Stout was born and raised in Oklahoma, coming to Philadelphia upon graduation from law school to work for Judge William H. Hastie of the United States Court of Appeals;

WHEREAS, after her tenure with Judge Hastie, she went on first to serve in the Philadelphia District Attorney’s office and, in 1959, was elected to sit as a Judge of Philadelphia's Municipal Court, the first black woman in America to be elected to a U.S. court of record;

WHEREAS, she was also the first African-American woman elected to the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and, when appointed to serve as a Justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, became the first African-American woman to serve on a state supreme court;

WHEREAS, Justice Stout was a mentor for younger attorneys and an example for all lawyers, prompting The Philadelphia Inquirer to state: "Education, work, honesty, morality, discipline - these admirable qualities embodied the life and work" of Justice Stout;

WHEREAS, the late Juanita Kidd Stout exemplified all the best elements of a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County, of a Justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, and of a Philadelphia Lawyer;

WHEREAS, Justice Stout selflessly devoted her time, energy and effort to the cause of Justice, Racial Equality and Improving the Quality of Living;

WHEREAS, the Philadelphia Bar Association believes Justice Stout’s tireless efforts should be recognized and memorialized for generations to come;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Philadelphia Bar Association respectfully urges City Council and Mayor Edward Rendell to act forthwith and to rename the Criminal Justice Center the "Juanita Kidd Stout Center for Criminal Justice";

AND BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Chancellor is authorized to take all action necessary to implement this resolution in a quick and timely fashion.

PHILADELPHIA BAR ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
ADOPTED: September 24, 1998